The 1960s - specialization and service
We produced pedals and sleeves, reinforced with adhesive tape on the ends to prevent slippage of the clamps, stoppers for car hoods, and gearshift protection bellows for the Seat 600, Seat 1500, Gordini, Simca 1000.
Original replacement parts for Peugeot, Renault, SEAT, etc., were the most important items as the company was starting out and provided a good business opportunity for the Navarro brothers.
With the philosophy of a flexible service provider, we used techniques aimed at offering a rapid response as an added value: The orders from replacement part shops were picked up in the morning, the parts manufactured, packaged while still warm -- classified by maintenance kit for each vehicle -- and distributed by motor scooter to all of the Madrid shops in the afternoon.
In the 1960s, MGN was already offering just-in-time services. The stock zero strategy was already an advantage, and the company sold its product this way, with a clear differential value. This was our school.
The company continued its rise: New markets and new applications made it necessary to renew teams and installations and, above all, bring in technical reinforcements.
We were with them when almost all of the Spanish people began to enjoy the widespread prosperity of the period: The SEAT 600 was the little round car that motorised Spain and its emerging middle class during the economic boom.
The first Seat 600 was manufactured in the Zona Franca industrial district of Barcelona on 27 June 1957, the same year our company was founded, and was registered in Madrid. It had a 633 cc. engine and weighed 585 kg.
Ten years later, there were 1,330,000 cars of which 60% (760,000) were Seat 600s.
Shops proliferated and the need for replacement parts grew to meet the high demand. In MGN's small workshop, parts were manufactured from dawn to dusk, seven days a week. Production gradually extended to all models of the period, and to new applications: Stoppers, bellows, carpets, along with the usual sleeves and pedals, were the parts most in demand at the time. Producing a quality product ensured growth of the market and greater added value.
Infrastructure and Space
The 40 square-metre shop was no longer big enough.
New car models, new moulds and increased production required more space.
In San Sebastián de los Reyes, we opened new premises of 600 square metres for production, a warehouse and a small laboratory to research the exciting world of rubber and its derivatives in order to meet the diverse needs of industry.